Skip to content



Victim First are here if you want to talk to someone about how you might be feeling, any concerns you may have and to understand more about the help and support which you and your child might be able to receive.

Sometimes as a parent or guardian you may feel powerless seeing a child you care about suffering. You may experience the same emotions as your child if they have been a victim or witness of crime or after finding out your child has been affected by crime when you may not have realised something happened.


Supporting a Child or Young Person

  • Offer a listening ear. Reassure them you are there to listen if they want to talk and when they are ready to do so. Giving them the time and space to process what has happened and a safe environment to do this in will help them build trust and reassurance that they are protected and can talk to you.
  • Sometimes a child or young person can find it difficult to express how they are feeling and explain certain situations. It can feel disappointing if a child or young person isn’t sharing the full details or an event. Just knowing you are there when they are ready and feel comfortable to talk will support them through this time.
  • A child or young person can be affected in different ways after a crime, whether this is emotionally, physically or changes in behaviour. You may notice that they are upset or withdrawn. This is not because they do not wish to spend time with you or they do not trust you but a way in which they are processing what has happened to them. If you are concerned that they are becoming more withdrawn speak to a trusted professional such as a GP or Victim First caseworker.
  • Remember there is always help out there and you do not have to go through this alone. You can speak to us or visit the useful organisations list on this page.


Who can your child speak to?

It’s important that your child has a network of trusted adults who they can talk to. These should be adults they feel safe and comfortable with, so it might be someone who has supported them before.

If your child is not comfortable talking to someone they know, remind them that they can ask for help from a professional such as:

  • Teachers
  • Doctors
  • A school nurse or support worker
  • A Victim First Caseworker


How we will work with you and your child

Any parent or guardian whose child has been affected by crime can contact us for guidance and support.

Our team of experienced and professional caseworkers can work directly with your child and offer support to help them think through their choices, safety plan, develop coping strategies, and cope and recover from their experiences.

If we feel that there is another agency better placed to work with you or your child then we will always help you to access these services.

More information